Wednesday, December 26, 2018

How would Jesus Christ have fared amongst contemporary Indian godmen?


Pro-service, anti-ritualism; pro-poor, anti-elitism; pro-women; anti-patriarchalism; pro-freedom, anti-orthodoxy; Yeshu Baba's career as a godman would have ended before it began.


The first time I heard the term ‘Yeshu baba’ was in Tihar jail.
I was not a prisoner – I was visiting along with a group of school-children who were performing a Christmas programme for about a thousand women inmates in Jail No. 6, Central Prison.

The children sang Christmas carols and the prisoners sang along. Afterwards, one of the inmates came up to the microphone and thanked the kids for their programme on the birth of ‘Yeshu Baba’.

The name struck me and stuck with me. I had heard Jesus Christ referred to as ‘Isa Masih’ or ‘Ishu Masih’ in Hindi before, of course. ‘Yeshu Baba’ sounded a lot more human and definitely a lot more familiar.

If you were to put a picture of (a non-crucified) Jesus next to one of a contemporary Indian baba, like Sri Sri Ravi Shankar or Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev, a casual observer might see little or no difference (except in height, in the case of Sri Sri, and hair colour in the case of Jaggi Vasudev.)

As I rode back from the jail that Christmas afternoon with a bus full of school kids, a question struck me and then lodged itself in my brain:

How would Yeshu Baba have fared in contemporary India, the very land of babas?

As someone constantly fascinated with the psychology of new religious movements, cults, godmen and their followers, I decided to read through the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John in the New Testament which document the life of Jesus to try and find an answer to my question.

The conclusion I reached was that by contemporary standards, Yeshu Baba would have been a disaster as a contemporary Indian godman. In the following paragraphs I literally quote chapter and verse to undergird my hypothesis.

Relationship with the rich
Patronage by the wealthy is essential for any baba’s career, which is why most successful babas cultivate the rich assiduously. One should not hold it against them when they spend the majority of their time ministering to those with the means to fund their operations. It is good business sense to minister spiritually to those who can support you, and not waste too much time and energy on the poor masses. (The poor can find spiritual sustenance at large satsangs.)

Business Standard

No comments:

Post a Comment